Thursday, January 18, 2007

emissions

Woo Hoo!! I passed my emissions test today.
I have spent a lot of freakin money on fixing my car this week. After having been kicked around by the auto shops, I ended up visiting the dealership to find a fix for my car. Auto dealerships are the worst of the lot. As soon as you step inside you can be sure of parting away with atleast a week's worth of money.The service guy greets you with a certain 'what-a-poor-bastard' kind of smile and you greet him back with an "Oh-shit!!" kind of smile. Its a perfect place to discover how notorious the service industry in the US is. All my car needed was a new canister (part of the exhaust system which is made of a thin piece of sheet metal) and some cleaning of a blocked valve. And it cost me 685 friggin dollars!!!!
I could have actually done away without the new canister, but I had received a threatening notice several days ago from the DMV informing of my driver's license suspension if I did not get my emissions done in time. WTF!!!
Having already had many encounters with the cops (darn luck!!), didn't want to take any more chances. So today I have finally got my car fixed and the emissions done!!! I wanted to treat myself for this wonderful achievement but remembered I had a big crater in my bank account. Crap!!!

4 comments:

Chitra said...

I am glad you have that sorted out. :)

The service charge in the US was one thing that I found very hard to digest, especially since you are so used to getting all of those services for extremely cheap price in India.

Ravishankar Hirisave said...

Thanks Chitra.
Yeah its crazy!! I bet I cld have got my car fixed faster and cheaper at the local "universal" mechanic in blore....and probably even shared a cup of coffe with him!!

Anonymous said...

Man that's a lot of money! Ya, these dealerships sure rip people off! So what was the encounter with cops about is it something you are you going to post about or is it going to be in the papers? :P

Ravishankar Hirisave said...

heh heh...I wish I cld make it to the papers..infact i shld...city of chicago shld name one day of the year after me as the highest contributor to the city funds thru tickets :)